Install OS X Client as a guest inside VMWare Fusion 4Tweet
Today, VMWare released version 4 of Fusion. They add the ability to install Lion Client and Server versions but Leopard and Snow Leopard are only supported in the Server versions (due to EULA issues).
As an educational exercise, I installed Snow Leopard Client version as a guest. Here's how:
- Create a new VM. Select Snow Leopard Server as guest type
- Edit the .vmx file that's created and remove the line: firmware = "efi"
- Download the modify.sh script attached to this post and run in like:
- Start the Snow Leopard VM and immediatly press F8
- You should get a boot menu with 3 options:
- c: Boot DVD
- h: Boot first Hard Disk
- e: Eject DVD
- At this point, control click the CD icon and change the drive to use the physical DVD drive (make sure you've already inserted your retail Snow Leopard disk first)
- Back in the VM, press "c" to load from disk
- Wait a few seconds and you should get the install screen
- After installing, eject the install disk and reboot the VM
- Install VMWare tools and the attached Ensoniq audio driver for sound